Friday, August 29, 2008

Flashback Friday: Friends and Fresno

Jason and I are transplants to the Central Valley. I remember driving down Herndon Avenue in October of 1998, shocked by the billboards advertising homes in the "low 100,000's, " and wondering if this would be the city where I would raise my children.

In Fall 1998, Jason was a 2nd year law-student at McGeorge School of Law and I was teaching 8th grade General Science in Rio Linda. We were headed to Fresno on that brisk October day for a summer clerkship job interview. It was his second interview with a reputable employment and labor law firm. Scary! Jason was so excited and nervous for this interview and I was relieved to have a day off from teaching; a break from my sweet and innocent 8th graders and a morning to enjoy morning sickness without my 8th graders watching. Little did I know on that Fall morning in October 1998, Fresno would become my new home and that the truest of friends would be found.

We moved to Fresno in June 1999 for the summer and then officially packed up our little townhouse on Wexford Circle in Citrus Heights in August 2000. (Actually, Jason did. I was still in Provo finishing a graduate course.) There were many tears shed upon my move to Fresno. I was lonely and now a stay-at-home mom. No more 8th graders to tend! I relied on the Lord to help me overcome my struggles and I prayed that I would find friends. Eight years later, we're still in Fresno and I am fortunate to be encircled by true, genuine friends. Here are just a few of them.

Gwen Hawkins: Always has a smile on her face and something new to share. We met in 2002 and I happily remember the weekly scrapbook nights at her house. We can go weeks without talking, but then we pick up right where we left off. I love her.

Barbara Godfrey: The off-color humor. Her obsession with the word "naked." Her willingness to take my kids so I can run marathons. I love how Barbara doesn't ask how she can help -- she just does. I consider her family. I also hold her responsible for my running addiction.

Sue Ashcraft: I love, love Sue. She's my 5 am workout companion. My bobsie twin. She's my shoulder to cry on. I love to giggle with her. My hair looks good because of her amazing talents. I couldn't live without her in my life. She's my sister.
Nicole Madsen: The talented and beautiful Nicole. Always an honor to accompany her when she sings. She is wise. She'll tell you how it is. I admire her for her strength. My birthday buddy. I hold her responsible for my blogging addiction. I love her.
Wish I had a picture of these women to post:
Alice Barberich: An awesome cook. Shares her wisdom and cries with me. Laughs with me, too. Honest. Hard-working. Helps you become a better person.
Kelly Wood: I met Kelly in January 2002. We've been through a lot together. She's beautiful. She'll be the first to help you. She reaches out to other people. Has an awesome body. Grew up in Oregon, too. What's not to love?
Michelle Palmer: I met Michelle in early 2002. She has always been someone I can easily talk to --about anything. I love Michelle's laugh. I love Michelle's desire to help others. I love how she's laid-back and mellow. She rocks.

2 comments:

Gwen Hawkins said...

What a nice post. I for one am glad your family was led here. I'm so glad you're blogging now!!

Nicole said...

Awww you are too sweet! Love you, Rebecca!