Sunday, September 28, 2008

I did it!

I left San Luis Obispo around 8:30 am and cycled through Morro Bay, Cayucos, Harmony, Cambria, and San Simeon -- about 55 miles out, and 44 miles back. I even cycled on HWY 1. That was scary -- cars were merging onto the HWY and watch out! It was overcast as I passed through Cambria and the ocean was barely visible. The SLOBC helpers didn't think I'd be able to see the lighthouse because it was so foggy. Just past Hearst Castle, I stopped and looked at the elephant seals and other sea animals. The lighthouse was about 2 miles north and I was determined to see it. I continued to ride and there it was -- but only partially visible. I was so disappointed. Another mile out was a rest stop -- and I was tired. I was fighting against a headwind and exhausted. After a short rest, I headed back to SLO and the fog had burned off, the weather warmed up, and there was a tailwind to push me along. And there it was! The entire lighthouse -- standing tall, magnificent, and immovable. I thought about this lighthouse for the next 3 hours and compared it to my life right now and the gospel of Jesus Christ. Just like the lighthouse, Christ is always there. Sometimes we don't see Him because of the foggy layers in our lives -- but He is there -- and we must have faith that He will guide us home. I started to cry and wished that I could have His tender arms around me. I can't but I have faith that He will help me overcome my heartache. I felt impressed to leave Saturday night instead of driving home on Sunday morning. I needed to be at church with my family and partake of the Sacrament. Steps in the right direction. It was a physically and emotionally draining day but I loved it. I did it -- 99 miles!

Climbing a hill -- about mile 20. Just outside of Harmony.

Riding down the same hill -- about mile 80. Somehow I missed the turn for lunch -- which was about 5 miles before this picture. I saw every other sign and arrow! Needless to say, I chowed on a really, yummy Halibut dinner in Pismo Beach a few hours later.


Piedras Blancas Lighthouse, San Simeon, California.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

WOW, Rebecca, you are such a machine!! What a great accomplishment. Now I feel totally guilty about not getting out and at least walking for 30 mins. a day. This is Rachel S.)

Michelle said...

WOW! I thought of you all weekend! You did great! I love the lighthouse message. One of my favorite pictures is of a lighthouse in a storm with the message that HE will not always calm the storms but he will calm our souls. so true! Love ya Rebecca!

Julie said...

Congratulations! That's great!

Nicole said...

Good for you! That's amazing!

Jessica said...

You should totally be a bike model!! I'm sooooooooo proud of you!! I can't believe you only went 99....you should have gone one more mile to make it an even 100. he he. You're so awesome Becky. I love the lighthouse...so beautiful! Sorry you missed lunch though...but what's up with eating fish. NASTY.

Gwen Hawkins said...

Rebecca, you are AMAZING!!!! I truly admire your drive! I'm glad you had a good experience!

Rachel said...

wow!! That is awesome. i didn't know you were doing a huge bike-thon. You really inspire me to make better goals and to keep doing something.

The Chandler Family said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment!