Monday, October 6, 2008

7 Wonders

Jessie tagged me and I tag anyone who hasn't shared amazing facts about themselves this month.

Seven amazing facts about me:


1. The first concert I went to was L.A. Guns and Def Leppard. I was in 9th grade. It was at the Portland Memorial Coliseum (now the Rose Garden) and my date was my older brother, Dave, and his friends. They were seniors and I thought I was something special! The concert was in the round and I still remember rockin' out to "Rock of Ages" as the lights flickered on and off. Joe Elliot didn't have a pot-belly back then and his voice rocked. I spent all of my money on a t-shirt and a head band that reads "hysteria." I still have both items and I know right where they are. If I had a time machine, I would go back to that night without hesitation. Misty was born that night.

2. I don't look good with a perm. Ick.

3. I always wanted to be a pharmacist. The closest pharmacy school to Fresno is in Stockton. If we ever find ourselves back in Sacramento, just 40 minutes north of Stockton, I'll apply to the program. Or if we find ourselves in Utah, I may have to suck it up and apply to the U.

4. I was never good with boys named Matt. My first kiss was from a boy named Matt in kindergarton sitting on the oval, yarn rug during circle time. Our relationship only lasted one story. Then, YUCK, my cousin, Matt, at a VERY, YOUNG, INNOCENT age and I had a crush on each other. Moving on. Matt Kearl, who was like the perpetual BYU college student, befriended me and, dumb me, I even went to Disneyland with him. At Disneyland, we had to RUN from ride to ride. SPRINT, even. I was having my period (overshare, I know) and he threw tantrums that I had to stop and use the bathroom to take care of business. I was so perturbed that I took an extra long time in the bathroom each time. And then there's Matt Olive, who shattered my heart to pieces after dating for over a year. He said the most hurtful thing to me. He told me that he didn't like my "body tone." According to him, my face was beautiful, but my body was something else. Well, Matt, eat your pig-headed heart out! Olivia will never date a Matt. (sorry Nicole . . . your Matt obviously is an exception)


5. So, I'll tell you one of the nicest things that someone said to me. While in the Oakland temple in December of 1998, a matron stopped me, grabbed hold of my arm, and with tears streaming down her face, whispered that I reminded her of The Virgin Mary. I've never forgotten these kind words. I was 20 weeks pregnant with Olivia. I was overwhelmed with emotion and I felt so special because a stranger thought I radiated purity.

6. My BYU friend and fellow scientist, Kathy Buswell, and I were determined to invent delicious low fat chocolate chip cookies. We experimented with fat free cream cheese, 1/3 fat cream cheese, 1/2 butter and 1/2 cream cheese, margarine, applesauce, nasty fruit substitute, etc. We'd call each other to sample cookie dough -- which was always good -- the final product was never what our tastebuds envisioned. Let's just say we're still working on the recipe.

7. I have anxieties about pumping gas. O.k, it's an Oregon thing. They pump our gas for us!

7 comments:

Julie said...

I WAS AT THAT CONCERT!!! I didn't know you were there. Wasn't that the coolest ever when the curtain dropped and the band started playing?!?! I TOTALLY love Def Leppard! I also have a hard time pumping gas. We Oregonians are spoiled!

Jessica said...

i just wrote a ton of stuff and my computer went weird. Stupid computer! yeah, we never looked good in perms. thank goodness we eventually stopped!! ha ha. Matts...definitely not good. remember when Matt Kearle bought mom and dad a garbage can? ha ha ha. I almost teared up reading about a woman thinking you looked like the virgin mary. That was incredible to read!!! And I remember you wearing that Def Leppard t-shirt. In fact, I bragged to all the fellow Hiteon schoolers that you went to the concert. And for a brief moment, i was considered COOL. Can you believe it? A little made fun of girl in school was cool once in her life. Thanks for letting me live through you! And for living in your clothes. You had the best stuff. Guess I could have if I had a job too. Hmmm. I wouldn't have worn your clothes if I was who I am today. Sorry I did that!! But you really did have awesome clothes

Nicole said...

I kove your list! Someone tagged me a while back and I haven't done it yet...I need to get on that!

No offense taken on the "Matt" thing, of course :o) I once had someone tell me that anyone named "Bob" was bad. Weird!

LOVE the Virgin Mary comment! So sweet!

Rebecca said...

Julie, I think I remember you were there! I saw Def Leppard in concert two years ago (like, oh my gosh, I think it was this week two years ago). I rocked out! Joe Elliot had a hubba belly and his voice isn't what it used to be but WHO CARES when you're singing along! And I've had terrible experiences at the pump. Hate it! Hate it! Reduce California unemployment: hire gas attendants!

Rebecca said...

Jess, You're comment made me cry. I wish I lived near you so that you could wear my clothes and I could borrow your cake decorating utensils and KitchenAid.

Julie said...

Come to my house. I have cake decorating tools and a kitchenAid. You're only what, 7 or 8 hours away?

Jessica said...

I want you to borrow my kitchen aid and cake decorating tools too...I could take the class with you (I need help still!) at Michaels! Julie, you can totally come too... : ) But if I wore your clothes, they'd split in half. Don't worry about my non cool life in my early school years. I'm cool now. They just missed out on who I was!