Friday, October 10, 2008

Flashback Friday: Maui 2007

We loved Maui. It was our first time vacationing in Maui and we had a blast. We hope to return in Spring 2009. Anyone want to join us? We are a lot of fun and we know how to vacation! Come with us!

On our first day we were adventurous and definitely "easily-to-spot-tourists" as we cruised around the island in the Jeep. Absolutely beautiful. There were some one-lane roads that freaked us out and some primitive areas. Always the teacher, I was concerned about the children who lived in these primitive villages and looked for schools. I saw abandoned school buses but no buildings. I survived the hair-pin curves and bumpy roads without an upset stomach and wondered how school buses manuevered these curves. I know! Stop thinking about school and enjoy the beauty!

My happy stomach did not, however, like the helicopter tour. Oh my gosh! If I could have jumped out of the window, I would have. I threw up several times, dry-heaved, and was dripping in sweat. It cost us nearly 400 bucks and after 15 minutes I was ready to die! I politely asked the pilot to stop making quick turns in consideration of my stomach. I think that just made his day -- he thought it was funny and of course, didn't listen. Good thing Jason got some shots of the islands 'cuz my head was between my legs.



I have never been so bone-chilling cold in my life! We waited on top of the volcano for the sun to rise and then rode the bikes down. It was a spectacular sight but I'm not sure I'd do it again. I prefer heat!



This sign was posted above the toilet in the volcano visitor's center. I almost peed my pants from laughing so hard -- and because I had so many layers on and struggled to get my pants down. Now, who in the world would consider drinking toilet water? I'd rather lick a rat's tail than stick my water bottle in a toilet for liquid refreshment.

I love sand. I love to walk barefoot in the sand as the waves crash on the beach. I love to look out over the horizon and ponder the beauty of the magnificent oceans and my place in the universe. I'm a beach girl.

We took a boat ride out to an island to snorkel. Jason saw one of the tiny sharks and I jumped in and out of the freakin' cold water. Again, I like heat -- maybe I'm part-reptilian! But, I like to look at the little fishies and I like to grab people and freak them out! I say "Oh, excuse me, I thought you were a fish."

Jason sportin' the look outside of Mama's Fishhouse. Oh my gosh! The best food on the island. And breath-taking views. Our friends, Barbara, John, Karen, and Steve, recommended the restaurant. I could have eaten there every night!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

WHO IN THE WORLD WOULD WILLINGLY GO TO A FISH RESTAURANT? BLECH!! Ha ha. At least others like it. he he. I would so not go on a helicopter ride. But it looks like you had a great time!!! I want to go to Hawaii but Wade's been and he hates how hot it is. But he'll have to again when we have got money to do it.