Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Am a Walking Itch




So, I ate alot of mangos last week and thought I was having an allergic reaction to this delicious fruit. Nope. The itching and bumps started on Friday night and have intesified and taken over my stomach, thighs, legs, and feet. I am a hostage to these red bumps. How nice that the face is spared from these unsightly intruders!
I raced to my doctor on Monday who said I either have PUPPPS or IHC. I was sent to the lab and enjoyed a nice prick to draw some blood to check for IHC. IHC is a potentially harmful condition and is caused by "leaking" bile salts in the bloodstream. Both conditions are fairly uncommon and miserable and last until delivery. Oh, and they get WORSE as the mother progesses into the final days of pregnancy. So, technically I have about 11 weeks of a nightmare itch, rash, and Benadryl unless my wonderful doc feels sorry for me and relieves me of my itch. I'm hoping that I don't have IHC . . .

7 comments:

Jason said...

Sooooooooo sorry! I'm there to scratch those hard to reach places. Hang in there babe!

Jessica said...

HOLY CRAP, is that YOU? I am SO SORRY. I feel bad!!!! All the things you go through just to have a baby!!! When do you find out when it's NOT IHC?

Rebecca said...

No, not me, but that's what my stomach is starting to look like . . . and my legs are icky. I have red bumps with a yellow halo around them. Today I had to wear long pants so that I didn't scare away my students. . . . I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor.

Jessica said...

Oh man. I'm glad that wasn't you! But still...how awful. I hope that you hear from the dr. soon.

Maren said...

You poor thing! I hope there's something you can do to relieve the itch. Hang in there.

Grannie said...

How are you feeling today, Becky?? Did you find out if you have IHC????

I hope you can get some relief. Have you tried soda baths or oatmeal baths??? I feel for you.

The pictures of Olivia's birthday are so cute!!

Nicole said...

Oh NOOO! This is awful! I am so sorry! That makes me itchy just looking at the pics...

How soon do you hear back from the Dr.?